Monday, January 23, 2012

When I was a kid



I just had a vivid recollection of when I was young.  My parents encouraged my to have my own flower garden.  It was over by the birch tree (see behind me).  I remember picking out seeds such as marigolds, calendula, cosmos, batchlor's buttons and straw flowers.  I also grew some vegetables such as radishes and carrots.  Back then it was simpler I didn't worry about the newest fad or trying to find seeds to Chocolate Sundae Nigella, by the way I have been obsesed with finding these seeds.  I can remember holding these odd shaped seeds in my hand and digging the trench I would then place them in.  I loved the shapes of calendula and marilgold seeds.  I remember wondering how could an odd shaped seed  make such a beautiful flower.  After the packet was empty I would put it upside down on the stake so I would remember what I planted there.  Back then there wasn't any 50 - 60 mph wind storms in the Spring to contend with so the packet usually stayed on.

Marigold seeds
Calendula seeds
  

I wish I had more pictures of my childhood garden.  At least I still have the memories and the ambition to continue digging in the dirt.





3 comments :

  1. I grew up in Montana and started planting pansies, marigolds and petunias when I was about 7 yrs. old. I never started with seeds though, just little seedlings because the growing season was so short. They would just start to look really good and zap, a freeze would wipe them out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I imagine that would be frustrating as a young kid to have all your seedlings freeze. :(

      Delete
  2. I don't think I've seen this photo before. I have to admit that from a distance I thought it was me at first. Then I thought, I don't remember ever having that photo taken... Look at your straw flowers! I always loved the smell of straw flowers when gram grew them. :) Is that the same birch on the east side of the garden?

    ReplyDelete